Hannibal’s Black Churches
Wither's Mill Church, one of the areas earliest African American churches.
Eighth and Center Street Missionary Baptist Church
Eighth and Center Street’s first pastor, Oliver H. Webb, led the church for the next forty years from 1853 to 1878, longer than any other pastor in the city. As a mark of respect he was known as "Father" Webb. During the time, when he was not in the pulpit, he worked on a transfer wagon. He labored late at night with other members of the church to build their new building with a small room in the rear for a school. G. H. McDaniel succeeded Father Webb and was notable as the publisher of the Missouri Baptist Standard. At the time, the Missouri Baptist Standard was the only African American publication in Missouri. The Church officially became The Eighth and Center Streets Missionary Baptist Church in 1880.
In the early days Baptists, Methodists, and other denominations shared the building for worship services until other churches were built some years later. Although membership at Eighth and Center Streets Baptist Church has declined in recent years, dedicated members continue to preserve the church.
Early photograph of 2nd Christian Church at 1620 Broadway.
Early photograph of Scott's Chapel being constructed in 1874 that hangs in the vestibule of Hope Street Methodist Church.
2nd Christian Church members move to 404 Willow Street, where the congregation changed its name to Willow Street Christian Church.